News & Updates
Get Ready for Denver “Mile High” NGAUS Conference
Interested in attending the NGAUS Conference as a Delegate or Company Grade Professional Development candidate, please take note of the following:
NGAMA’s Incoming President MAJ Mike McNamara and Executive Director Augie Grace wanted to communicate some of this information to you and encourage you to attend this great event.
The 141st General Conference will be held August 30- September 2 at the Colorado Convention Center, Denver, Colorado.
- What you can expect in Denver- Denver, the capital of Colorado is an American metropolis dating back to the Old West era. It’s been many years since a NGAUS Conference has been hosted in a western state. The Colorado National Guard Association hopes to give you that Western States feeling during our stay. Larimer Square, the city’s oldest block features landmark 19-century buildings. Museums include the Denver Art Museum, an ultramodern complex known for its collection of indigenous works and the mansion of famed Titanic survivor, Molly Brown. Denver is also a jumping off point for the nearby Rocky Mountains including the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre and the United States Air Force Academy. Great restaurants are located on every block of Denver. Come experience the old west in a modern city!
- The Schedule of Activities– The Governor’s Reception will be at Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum. Today the museum boasts more than 182,000 square feet of hangar space full of iconic aircrafts, artifacts and military uniforms. The Company Grade/Warrant Officer Mixer will be at Mile High Station adjacent to Sports Authority Field Stadium. The Fun Run will be held at Denver’s scenic Auraria Campus. The Spouse Luncheon will be at the recently renovated Hyatt Ballroom. The Golf Tournaments will be at Fossil Trace Golf Courses-named after the fossilized triceratops footprints and palm fronds found next to the 12th green, nestled adjacent to the foothills of the Rocky Mountain Front Range. Conference events will be at the Denver Convention Center. The theme of the States Dinner will be “Denim & Diamond” featuring entertainment by Michael Martin Murphy. Of course, the traditional NGAUS Conference events including the Business Sessions, the Army/Air Separate Sessions, Elections, Resolutions, Task Force meetings and Industry Exhibitions will be held.
- Hotel-The Massachusetts Delegation will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. The Hyatt Regency will be the Headquarters Hotel and it is located directly across the street from the Convention Center. NGAMA has 35 hotel rooms. We expect to use all 35 rooms so please send in your room deposits by 30 June. We also have a large hospitality suite to serve as the delegation meeting room.
- New England Hospitality Night- The New England States Hospitality Event will be held at the Denver Howl at the Moon. The dueling piano bar has been a very popular venue for past NGAUS Conferences for Hospitality Night. Those who have attended past Conferences remember that New England Night has been one of the highlights of the Conference. We intend to again make it another great event.
- Bring Your Spouse/Significant Other– We would encourage you to bring your significant other and make the NGAUS Conference a vacation getaway. Denver will offer you plenty to see and do. Consider taking a few days after the Conference and making it a western vacation!
- Denver 2019 and Boston 2020– As we begin our preparation for hosting our Boston 2020 NGAUS Conference, we need to be mindful that it will be “our turn” in just one short year. Boston 2020 Committee Chairs should plan on attending the Denver Conference and “shadowing” their counterparts. NGAMA needs to have experienced Committee Chairmen and volunteers to host a successful NGAUS Conference. We would encourage as many NGAMA members, especially junior officers to attend these NGAUS Conferences, so they will be clear concerning the expectations of hosting a NGAUS Conference. There is an opportunity for junior officers to attend a NGAUS Conference while on orders. Please refer to the information listed on the Professional Development bulletin.
- Conference and Hotel Registrations– The Executive Director Augie Grace will be making all the Conference and Hotel reservations. At the March 16th NGAMA State Conference, Delegate Request forms will be made available. The Delegate Request forms will also be available at the NGAMA web site. All attending the NGAUS Conference must submit a $100 hotel deposit with their Conference registration. NGAMA pays the $165.00 Conference registration fee for those selected as delegates or selected to participate in Officer Professional Development. We ask that you submit your reservation by 30 June.
- Company Grade Professional Development Opportunities– Like the last few years we again expect that NGB will make available Professional Development funds for this Denver Conference. Company Grade Officers, WO1’s and CW2’s will be permitted to attend the NGAUS Conference on orders with all their expenses paid. If these funds become available, interested parties must apply and be selected. Any interested Officers must submit a registration form by 30 June. Please pass this information on to your junior officers.
- Additional Information/Questions- If you have any additional questions or need information regarding the Denver Conference please contact Executive Director Augie Grace at email@example.com or at 781-799-7299.
NGAMA Wins Bid To Host NGAUS 2020 Conference
NGAMA recently won a competitive selection process with several other states to host the NGAUS General Conference and Exhibition scheduled for 2020. For the last six months many NGAMA members have been working on creating and contributing to the NGAMA Boston 2020 proposal. On November 14th, NGAMA representatives led by Association President MAJ Nick Macsata presented the proposal to the NGAUS Committee on the General Conference. The Committee on the General Conference voted to recommend to the NGAUS Board of Directors to award the bid to NGAMA’s Boston 2020 team. The next day the NGAUS Board of Directors approved the Committee’s recommendation. The NGAUS Board of Directors also awarded the 2019 Conference to Denver, Colorado.
Boston had not hosted a NGAUS Conference since 1994. The Boston 2020 team was made up of NGAMA members as well as a representative of the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC). The Boston 2020 team proposed a Conference to be held August 28-August 31, 2020. The Business meetings would be held at the BCEC. Other events would be held at Fenway Park, the Seaport World Trade Center, the Harpoon Brewery and the John F Kennedy Presidential Library. A Fun Run would be held around Castle Island and Fort Independence and the NGAUS Golf Tournament would be held at the International Golf Course. Religious services would be held at the Old North Church.
The Boston 2020 proposal also included several innovative ideas. The Boston proposal was presented as a New England regional proposal. This proposal included letters of support from Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. It also included several partnerships with colleges and universities including Harvard, Emerson and the Berklee College of Music.
The NGAMA proposal also included letters of support from Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Marty Walsh. It is estimated that the NGAUS Conference brings to the host city between $7-10 million. The proposal was strengthen by the fact that so much new development, including hotels is planned for the Boston Seaport District. It is estimated that by 2020, NGAMA will be able to house approximately 80% of the Conference attendees within walking distance of the BCEC. The NGAUS Conference draws the top military leaders in the country, Congressional leaders as well as the largest military trade show. Typically 4,000 people attend the NGAUS Conference.
NGAMA now plans on forming a Boston 2020 Committee to lead the planning efforts for this task. The Committee will have various subcommittees including an Event Committee, a Fundraising Committee, and a Communications Committee. Any NGAMA members interested in serving on these NGAUS Conference Committees should email us at Contact@ngama.org.